Smith to be linebackers coach
ATLANTA -- Georgia Tech recruiting coordinator Giff Smith is taking a new job as outside linebackers coach for the Buffalo Bills only one week before national signing day.
Smith says he has told Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson he would volunteer to remain to help the coaching staff wrap up the recruiting class. Smith did not say Wednesday if Johnson accepted the offer.
Smith, who was the Yellow Jackets' defensive line coach, is joining new Buffalo coach Chan Gailey, the former Georgia Tech coach. Smith was Gailey's assistant at Georgia Tech for four years and previously worked for Johnson at Georgia Southern.
The timing of the move is not ideal for Georgia Tech's recruiting efforts, but Smith says he can best reach his goal of becoming a head coach by gaining experience in the NFL.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rodgers not cleared, still under evaluation
- Broncos' Welker still not cleared to practice
- Source: Garvin fined $25K for hit on Huber
- Flacco to wear knee brace against Patriots
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets #13 Replica Football Jersey