Chiefs' Waters honored before game
Goodell made the announcement shortly before kickoff of the Super Bowl, flanked by Payton's children, Brittany Payton and former University of Miami running back Jarrett Payton.
The Man of the Year award has been issued by the NFL since 1970, then re-named in Payton's honor in 1999.
One player from each team is nominated for the award, which recognizes a player for his community service activities as well as his excellence on the field. A charitable donation of $25,000 will be made by the NFL in Waters' name.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rivers, Chargers hand Broncos rare home loss
- Three men stabbed in Broncos' parking lot
- Rangers take Seahawks QB Wilson in draft
- Bears to start Cutler at QB against Browns
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Home Game Jersey Kansas City Chiefs Dwayne Bowe #82