Raiders tag DE Seymour
With this in mind, the Raiders have used their franchise tag on Seymour, as the two sides could not agree on a long-term contract extension.
The move is neither surprising nor cheap. The franchise tag for defensive ends is worth $12.398 million. The deadline for teams to use their franchise tags on prospective free agents is next Thursday.
The Raiders traded their top draft pick in 2011 to the New England Patriots for Seymour just before the 2009 regular season started.
Seymour, who went to five straight Pro Bowls and won three Super Bowls with the Patriots, was credited with 47 tackles in 2009, including four sacks. He has 404 career tackles, including 43 sacks, in 127 career games.
Adam Schefter is an ESPN NFL Insider.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Sherman still holds grudge against Crabtree
- Report: Raiders in talks to demolish Coliseum
- Redskins S Jackson banned indefinitely again
- Mathieu advice to Gordon: Pick yourself up
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Tervis Oakland Raiders 16 oz Colossal Wrap Tumbler