Steelers QB Batch signs 2-year contract
The 35-year-old Batch has been under contract with the Steelers for eight seasons, although he sat out 2004 and 2008 with injuries. He has thrown only two passes since 2007, and 135 overall during his time with Pittsburgh.
A former starter for the Detroit Lions, Batch is expected to compete with Dennis Dixon to be the backup quarterback. Dixon started one game when Ben Roethlisberger was hurt last season and became the No. 2 quarterback after Batch broke his left wrist Nov. 22 in Kansas City.
Batch grew up in suburban Pittsburgh and is the team's player representative.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rodgers still not ready to return for Packers
- Welker likely out until playoffs, sources say
- Vikes' Peterson 'ready to roll' vs. Bengals
- Bears' Briggs medically cleared to return
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Home Limited Jersey Pittsburgh Steelers Antonio Brown #84