Sproles signs 1-year tender
Chargers halfback Darren Sproles signed his one-year, $7.2813 million restricted free agent tender Friday.
Sproles was the Chargers franchise player last season but the uncapped year prevented him from being a free agent because he didn't have six years of experience. To prevent him from leaving, the Chargers designated him a restricted free agent. Any team that wanted to sign him would have had to surrender a first- and third-round pick.
Sproles has averaged 4.5 yards a carry during his career. He's also one of the top return specialists in the NFL.
John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- NFL on Gordon: Culpable for what's in body
- RG III scoffs at zone read talk: Not who I am
- Wear with pride: T-shirts help unite Dolphins
- Cards, CB Peterson agree to record $70M deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Home Game Jersey San Diego Chargers Antonio Gates #85