Hargrove signs Saints' offer sheet
METAIRIE, La. -- Anthony Hargrove has agreed to return to the defending champion New Orleans Saints, who gave the defensive tackle the opportunity to resurrect his career in 2009 after a yearlong suspension for substance abuse.
Saints general manager Mickey Loomis says the restricted free agent signed an offer sheet Monday.
The Saints tendered Hargrove an offer of about $1.2 million, meaning New Orleans would have been compensated with a third-round draft choice if he left to take a more generous offer elsewhere.
Playing mostly as a reserve defensive tackle last season, Hargrove was third on the club in sacks with five. He also was credited with 40 tackles, one forced fumble and three fumble recoveries, one that he returned for a touchdown.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rodgers still not ready to return for Packers
- Welker likely out until playoffs, sources say
- Vikes' Peterson 'ready to roll' vs. Bengals
- Bears' Briggs medically cleared to return
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Little Earth New Orleans Saints Black Sheen Wristlet