One of two defendants pleads guilty

Updated: April 9, 2010, 6:29 PM ET
Associated Press

LAS VEGAS -- One of two defendants pleaded guilty Friday as part of a deal with prosecutors in the robbery of former Oakland Raiders wide receiver Javon Walker after a night of Las Vegas club-hopping almost two years ago.

Arfat Abdo Fadel pleaded guilty to robbery, second-degree kidnapping and conspiracy in the attack that left Walker unconscious and injured a block off the Las Vegas Strip.

Prosecutor Joshua Tomsheck said Fadel, 32, was expected to serve at least two years and could face up to 15 years in state prison at sentencing scheduled for June 28.

Prosecutors dropped battery and conspiracy charges along with a first-degree kidnapping count that could have gotten Fadel life in prison without parole.

Fadel remained in Clark County jail after his appearance before Clark County District Court Judge Doug Smith.

Trial for Fadel's co-defendant, Deshawn Lamont Thomas, 42, is due to begin Tuesday with jury selection.

Thomas faces multiple felony charges, including first-degree kidnapping in the attack on Walker, now 31, and an unsigned free agent.

Tomsheck said Walker was expected to testify as soon as Wednesday.

Walker had offseason knee surgery before being released last month by the Raiders, a team that signed him in 2008 to a six-year, $55 million contract with an $11 million signing bonus.

Walker was a first-round draft pick in 2001 by the Green Bay Packers before being traded to the Denver Broncos in 2006.

Police allege Thomas and Fadel followed Walker while he spent a night club-hopping and gambling, and talked Walker into willingly getting into Fadel's black Range Rover just before 6 a.m. at the valet entrance of the Bellagio resort on the Las Vegas Strip.

Walker was found a little more than an hour later robbed and unconscious on a side street off the Strip. Police have said Walker was hospitalized for two days with facial injuries and a concussion. He told investigators about $3,000 in cash and $100,000 worth of jewelry had been stolen.

Thomas was arrested a month later while he was free on $200,000 bail in a pandering, kidnapping, child abuse and statutory sexual seduction case in Las Vegas. That case is set for trial in May.

Thomas has five prior felony convictions dating back to 1987 in California's Alameda County. Charges include cocaine possession, assault with a firearm, being an ex-felon in possession of a firearm and possession of cocaine base for sale, according to court records.


Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press