Runyan wins Republican primary
TRENTON, N.J. -- Former NFL lineman Jon Runyan has won the Republican primary election in New Jersey's 3rd Congressional district.
The retired Philadelphia Eagles player is a political neophyte who will face first-term Democratic Rep. John Adler in November.
Observers anticipating the matchup say it could be one of the most competitive and expensive races in the nation this year.
Adler easily won the Democratic primary in the southern New Jersey district.
Runyan fended off a challenge from the lesser-funded Justin Murphy, who had some support from the tea party movement.
Runyan surprised some by acknowledging last month that he had been late paying property taxes on his Mount Laurel home in 16 of the past 40 quarters.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rodgers still not ready to return for Packers
- Welker likely out until playoffs, sources say
- Vikes' Peterson 'ready to roll' vs. Bengals
- Bears' Briggs medically cleared to return
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- 5th & Ocean Women's Philadelphia Eagles Full-Zip Black Fleece Hoodie