Schilens makes early return
Schilens originally wasn't expected back on the field until the start of training camp in late July. But he said Wednesday he got the go-ahead to come back to the field this week after showing the training staff he was healthy enough. Schilens was somewhat limited but did participate in some full team drills as well as 7-on-7 passing sessions.
Schilens missed eight games last season after breaking his foot in training camp. He had 29 catches for 365 yards and two touchdowns last season but says he never felt fully healthy.
The Raiders are counting on his return to upgrade a passing offense that ranked 29th in the league last season.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Source: 49ers' Smith, Goodell to talk Aug. 8
- Peterson just 'having fun' with Sherman feud
- NFL on Gordon: Culpable for what's in body
- Romo unsure he'll play in preseason opener
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NFL Team Apparel Youth Oakland Raiders Grey Team Forward T-Shirt