- Adam Schefter, NFL
- 0 Shares
The three-game suspension can be reduced upon appeal, but it is uncertain whether Jackson will appeal. He pleaded guilty in February to driving under the influence, his second conviction.
His agent, Neil Schwartz, declined to comment Thursday to The Associated Press. Chargers general manager A.J. Smith didn't immediately return a call seeking comment.
NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said the league doesn't have a comment on the report.
He said in an e-mail to the AP that the "matter remains under review." That could indicate Jackson has appealed.
Jackson's suspension could be a moot point, however. He has been planning to not report to the Chargers unless he signs a long-term contract extension that nobody believes is forthcoming.
He let a deadline pass without signing his tender last month and had his 2010 salary drastically cut.
If the season begins and Jackson has not reported to the team, then he would be suspended for three games that he wouldn't have played in anyway.
Smith said last month that the team was preparing to play the 2010 season without Jackson or offensive tackle Marcus McNeill, who also didn't sign his tender.
"We lost a couple of great players ... and it hurts," Smith told the San Diego Union-Tribune last month after the players didn't sign their tenders before the deadline to do so. "We are trying to build a championship team, and losing the services of both Vincent and Marcus just made that more difficult -- but not impossible. In due time, Coach [Norv] Turner will name two new starters. We will rally as a team, compete and try to win as many games as we can."
As a result of the players not signing their tenders, the Chargers cut Jackson's salary from $3.268 million to $600,000 and McNeill's salary from $3.168 million to $583,000.
The Chargers, preparing for Jackson's absence, signed receiver Josh Reed earlier this offseason.
The 27-year-old Jackson had 1,167 receiving yards and nine touchdowns last season, his fifth with the Chargers.
Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
The NFL suspended San Diego Chargers Pro Bowl wide receiver Vincent Jackson three games for violating the league's personal conduct policy, a league source said Thursday.