Chris Simms due in court Oct. 7
Simms didn't make it to court Monday in the case; he's training with the Tennessee Titans in Nashville. A Manhattan judge agreed to excuse Simms but said he needs to be there Oct. 7 for a hearing and trial.
Police say Simms slurred his words and told them he'd been smoking marijuana before he was stopped at a checkpoint July 1. The 29-year-old has said he was just talking about cigarettes.
He faces charges including a misdemeanor count of driving while impaired by drugs.
Simms is a son of former New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms. Chris Simms has started 16 games during his six-year NFL career.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Source: Rodgers expected to be out again
- Welker likely out until playoffs, sources say
- Harbaugh: 'Absolutely' want to be with 49ers
- Browner vows to sue NFL if ban not dropped
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MORE FROM ESPN NEW YORK
- Antigua Men's Tennessee Titans Ignite White Polo