Darren Sharper hoping to play vs. Vikes
METAIRIE, La. -- Saints All-Pro safety Darren Sharper says his goal remains to be ready to play against the Minnesota Vikings in the Sept. 9 regular-season opener, even though he hasn't practiced yet this preseason.
Head coach Sean Payton says he's not sure when Sharper will return to practice, but says he won't travel to Tennessee for Thursday's preseason finale.
Sharper has been on the physically-unable-to-perform, or PUP, list throughout preseason because of offseason microfracture surgery on his left knee.
If he starts the season on the PUP list, he cannot play for six weeks. Sharper says he doesn't want to consider that option right now.
Payton will have to make a decision by Saturday.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Broncos sign WR Sanders to 3-year deal
- Texans' Foster medically cleared to return
- Source: Giants physical for Rodgers-Cromartie
- Ex-Seahawks CB Thurmond signs with Giants
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2010 NFL PREVIEW
- Fathead Drew Brees "In Your Face" Wall Graphic