Arthur Blank congratulates Michael Vick
After Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid made the call by naming Michael Vick his starting quarterback on Tuesday, Vick received an equally encouraging call from the owner of his former team, Arthur Blank of the Atlanta Falcons.
"I just wanted to congratulate Michael on the promotion," said Blank. "He was very humble, very grateful. I've always told him everyone deserves a chance for redemption and this is about his life, not just the football field."
Blank remained in contact by writing an occasional note or letter to Vick during his former quarterback's 18-month prison stay for his involvement in a criminal dogfighting ring.
Vick has thrown for 459 yards and three touchdowns, run for 140 yards, and posted a completion percentage of 63.8 and passer rating of 105.5 in 1½ games.
Chris Mortensen is ESPN's senior NFL analyst. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Sherman still holds grudge against Crabtree
- Report: Raiders in talks to demolish Coliseum
- Redskins S Jackson banned indefinitely again
- Mathieu advice to Gordon: Pick yourself up
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Home Game Jersey Philadelphia Eagles Michael Vick #7 - Extended Sizes