Frank Zombo fined for hit on Jay Cutler
Officials flagged Zombo for roughing the passer after the linebacker hit Cutler under the chin with the top of his helmet in the fourth quarter of Chicago's victory over the Packers. The penalty negated a Nick Barnett interception, while keeping alive the drive that allowed Robbie Gould to kick the game-tying field goal with 3:59 left to play.
An undrafted free agent set to make $320,000 this season, Zombo -- in his first NFL start -- sacked Cutler on the third play of the game, and finished with two tackles.
"I guess the only thing I can do is hit him lower," Zombo said Wednesday to the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "They're trying to protect the quarterback, I understand that. It's just a hard situation to be in. I'm going to have to pay the fine, $7,500."
Michael C. Wright covers the Bears for ESPNChicago.com and ESPN 1000.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Source: 49ers' Smith, Goodell to talk Aug. 8
- Peterson just 'having fun' with Sherman feud
- NFL on Gordon: Culpable for what's in body
- Romo unsure he'll play in preseason opener
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Boys' Jay Cutler Jersey - Home Game Chicago Bears