Sean Payton seeing improvement
METAIRIE, La. -- Saints coach Sean Payton says New Orleans' running game must get better and has been improving despite injuries.
Although running backs Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas have been injured, Payton says it's hard to blame the club's rushing woes on their absence when statistically it has been getting better in the past couple games.
However, New Orleans gained only 85 yards rushing at Arizona on Sunday and ranks 31st in the NFL with an average of 75.6 yards.
Quarterback Drew Brees says there's urgency to improve the ground game because the Saints have generally won more when their offense has been balanced.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Redskins' Cousins to start in place of RG III
- Urlacher: Bears should stick with McCown
- Ravens' Elam on Megatron: 'He's pretty old'
- NFL to look at big changes for replay system
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NFL WEEK 6 PREVIEW
HOT READ: ARIAN FOSTER
MNF: Titans at Jaguars, 8:30 ET
NFL BLOG NETWORK
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
- Photo File New Orleans Saints Drew Brees UniFrame