Sources: Brett Favre declined meeting
Brett Favre's meeting with NFL security chief Milt Alherich will come after the Minnesota Vikings quarterback declined an attempt to interview him this past week, according to sources familiar with the league's investigation into allegations that he sent inappropriate text messages to a former Jets employee in 2008.
Favre, who late Sunday denied he blew off any such interview request, was allowed the final option by the NFL of meeting either Monday or Tuesday in Minneapolis, where the interview with Alherich will take place, the sources said. Alherich served 25 years with the FBI before joining the league as its security chief.
"I don't know what's out there," Favre said following the Vikings' 24-21 victory over Dallas. "I haven't declined to talk to anyone."
Alherich and his security department have had no success in attempts to interview Jenn Sterger, whom allegedly was the recipient of inappropriate text messages and photos in 2008 when she served as a gameday host when she and Favre were employed by the Jets.
"I don't expect anything. ... I'm concerned about the next game," Favre said after throwing for 118 yards and a touchdown in the win. "I'll let that take its course."
Without Sterger's cooperation, sources say the investigation could hit a dead end as early as this coming week. It is not known what details Favre will provide Alherich. He has not publicly denied the allegations, which were made on Deadspin.com.
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will only meet with Favre if the league's investigation provides evidence that the quarterback has possibly violated the league's personal-conduct policy, the sources added.
Favre, who had been listed as questionable by Minnesota for Sunday against Dallas with tendinitis in his right elbow, started the game to extend the NFL consecutive-starts record to 290.
Chris Mortensen is ESPN's senior NFL analyst. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.