Brett Favre investigation complete
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The NFL has wrapped up its investigation into allegations that Brett Favre sent inappropriate phone messages and photos to a Jets game hostess two years ago, the woman's attorney said Wednesday.
Attorney Joseph Conway said Joe Hummel, the director of investigative services for the NFL's security department, told him the case has been sent to commissioner Roger Goodell and the league's lawyers for review.
"He told me it's upstairs in the commissioner's office and the lawyers are going over it," Conway said. "I have not been told a timetable as when to expect something and I have not been told what the findings will be."
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello declined to discuss details of the case and said "we're not ruling out this week. We're not ruling out next week" in terms of a decision.
Sterger allegedly received the inappropriate messages and photos when she and the quarterback both worked for the Jets. Favre has declined to address the allegations or the investigation.
On Thursday's "The Dan Patrick Show," Phil Reese, Sterger's public relations manager, said he wants the NFL to act quickly. He also said that Sterger would not pursue a lawsuit against Favre or the Jets if Favre is suspended.
"If the commissioner suspends Favre and puts in a program to make sure this doesn't happen again ... 100 percent. [Sterger] would not pursue any litigation against Favre, against the Jets, against anybody," Reese said in the interview with host Dan Patrick.
Reese said he has grown frustrated by the lack of resolution in the case.
"I don't know what's taking so long here," Reese told Patrick. "We have done everything to assist the investigation. We have gone above and beyond. We've been told the league is going to do the right thing."
Reese also said he contacted Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, shortly before the website Deadspin.com published its story about the alleged phone messages.
"He asked me is there a specific figure you had in mind to make this go away," Reese told Patrick on Thursday.
On Nov. 24, Cook told The Associated Press in a statement that there was never an intention to offer money for silence.
"Her manager and her lawyer have made numerous overtures to me ... at least 6 between the two of them," Cook wrote. "Anyone can figure out why. The point is we were never going to pay them, we didn't pay them and we will never pay them. Because, there is NO reason to pay them! They should consider that their attempts to negotiate privately and through the media have failed."
Favre spent one season with the Jets in 2008 before joining the Minnesota Vikings last year. The 41-year-old quarterback has said that this will be his last season in the NFL, though he has retired before only to return soon after. Conway reiterated Sterger's desire for the league to announce the findings -- and any potential penalties while the NFL still has jurisdiction over him -- before the end of the season.
The NFL first announced the investigation in October, just before the Vikings played the Jets.
Sterger did not meet with NFL officials to discuss the case and turn over alleged evidence until Nov. 11, but Conway said it would be unfair to say that was the reason why the investigation has taken so long.
"I think we did things very diligently," Conway said. "We went in just about a month ago. We were kind of under the expectation that that meeting was one of the last things that needed to be done. I'd be disappointed if anybody said that the reason this took so long is because Jenn did not come in right away."
The Sports Business Journal first reported the development.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Harbaugh's brother: Family staying out of it
- Peyton intent on playing for Broncos in 2015
- Aaron Claus: QB buys Packers linemen TVs
- Pettine: Manziel will get chance to compete
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NFL WEEK 14 PREVIEW