Perrish Cox will not start for Broncos
Denver Broncos rookie cornerback Perrish Cox did not start the team's 43-13 loss to the Arizona Cardinals but did get in the game in the first quarter following his arrest for investigation of sexual assault.
Cox recorded three tackles -- all solo -- in the loss.
While the league has not disciplined Cox, the Broncos said in a statement they have elected to fine Cox "the maximum amount" for missing practice and meetings Friday while he was detained in the Douglas County Jail following his arrest Thursday night.
On Friday, a judge ruled Cox, who posted $50,000 bail, could leave the state for the Broncos' road games at Arizona on Sunday and at Oakland on Dec. 19.
Cox could face a four-game suspension from the NFL next season for violating the league's personal conduct code. Commissioner Roger Goodell doesn't need a player's conviction to punish him.
Last month, the Broncos stripped linebacker D.J. Williams of his captaincy and sat him for the first series of their game against Kansas City following his second drunken driving arrest. He also faces a month-long banishment from the NFL in 2011.
Cox has started eight games in place of Andre' Goodman, who has been sidelined most of the season with hip and thigh ailments. Goodman is expected to return to action Sunday but rookie Syd'Quan Thompson might start in Cox's place.
Cox's legal troubles are the latest crisis for the Broncos, who, in the last four years have dealt with the drive-by slaying of cornerback Darrent Williams, running back Damien Nash's fatal heart attack and receiver Kenny McKinley's suicide. Running backs Maurice Clarett (aggravated robbery) and Travis Henry (financing a drug ring) were imprisoned after their release by the Broncos, and there were numerous domestic violence calls for wide receiver Brandon Marshall before his trade to the Miami Dolphins in the spring.
Interim coach Eric Studesville was promoted from running backs coach late Monday after Josh McDaniels was fired in the midst of the franchise's worst skid in four decades and the Spygate II videotape scandal.
Cox's next court hearing was set for Jan. 7.
The Broncos (3-9) drafted Cox in the fifth round last April. He was rated higher but dropped in the draft because of character concerns. He'd been arrested last year on charges of driving without a license and proof of insurance and he was suspended from the Cotton Bowl for missing curfew.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Chargers FG caps 2nd-half rally over 49ers
- Eagles' playoff chances hurt as Redskins win
- Big-play Jackson questions 'naive' Eagles D
- Sources: Goodell says no L.A. team in 2015