Justin Smith tossed for contact
SAN DIEGO -- San Francisco defensive tackle Justin Smith has been ejected from the 49ers' game at San Diego after making contact with an official after a play.
Smith was tossed early in the second quarter Thursday night after a brief argument between Smith and at least one Chargers player at the San Diego 8. Smith appeared to shove away umpire Garth DeFelice while the official attempted to keep Smith out of the dispute, and DeFelice immediately threw a flag.
San Francisco linebacker Travis LaBoy made the tackle on the play but also left with a knee injury.
The ejection of Smith, who has started 153 straight games, occurred shortly after San Diego's defense stopped the 49ers on fourth down inside the 1, maintaining the Chargers' 7-0 lead.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Chancellor probable after late-practice injury
- Goodell: Pursuing Deflategate aggressively
- Hundreds lose out on tickets to Super Bowl
- Goodell: NFL to rule on Lynch fine after SB
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NFL WEEK 15 PREVIEW
MNF: Bears at Vikings, 8:30 ET
NFL BLOG NETWORK
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
- Nike Women's San Francisco 49ers Rewind Script Red Long Sleeve Shirt