Antonio Gates likely out for 2 games
"I do want to get healthy," Gates said. "That's what's best for this team."
Gates has missed the last two games and four of six with a painful tear in his right plantar fascia. Gates says rest is the only way for the injury to heel. He says the team's other tight ends, Randy McMichael and Kris Wilson, are more than capable of doing the job.
"Based on the history of the injury, there's no speedy recovery," Gates said. "Time is key. Not only do I need time, but I need rest."
Gates said he'll have had four weeks of rest if the Chargers do make the playoffs.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Seahawks to host Packers in season opener
- Giants-Lions, Chargers-Cards to open MNF
- No winner in Rams' schedule-guessing game
- Source: Manziel on Bucs' short list at No. 7
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Home Game Jersey San Diego Chargers Antonio Gates #85