Ryan Kalil signs franchise tender
Team spokesman Charlie Dayton confirmed the move on Thursday, two days after the Panthers placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on Kalil. If the current rules exist in the new collective bargaining agreement, another team would've had to surrender two first-round picks to sign the two-time Pro Bowl selection.
The franchise tag has been a point of contention with the current labor deal expiring next week. But Kalil's decision to sign gives him $10 million guaranteed.
Kalil, who was drafted in the second round of the 2007 draft, is the first center to receive the franchise tag since the Lions' Kevin Glover in 1996.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rodgers still not ready to return for Packers
- Welker likely out until playoffs, sources say
- Vikes' Peterson 'ready to roll' vs. Bengals
- Bears' Briggs medically cleared to return
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth Home Game Jersey Carolina Panthers Luke Kuechly #59