Jeanty's season ends on opening kickoff
Jeanty broke the fibula while blocking for Bernard Scott's 56-yard return Saturday, lying on the field for several minutes afterward. He walked off the field with assistance and went for X-rays.
The Jets were without punter Steve Weatherford because he was sick. Weatherford was dizzy and had a fast heartbeat after warming up Saturday, leaving him unavailable.
Kicker Jay Feely handled the Jets' first punt Saturday, a low, wobbly kick that the Bengals returned to the New York 45 to start their second series. Weatherford's illness was a major setback to the Jets in a game that was expected to come down to field position.
Feely hasn't punted during his nine-year career. Weatherford punted 80 times this season for a 42-yard average.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rivers, Chargers hand Broncos rare home loss
- Rangers take Seahawks QB Wilson in draft
- Bears to start Cutler at QB against Browns
- Megatron to show Elam 'old man's strength'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Cincinnati Bengals Coaches Sideline White Polo