Jeanty's season ends on opening kickoff
Jeanty broke the fibula while blocking for Bernard Scott's 56-yard return Saturday, lying on the field for several minutes afterward. He walked off the field with assistance and went for X-rays.
The Jets were without punter Steve Weatherford because he was sick. Weatherford was dizzy and had a fast heartbeat after warming up Saturday, leaving him unavailable.
Kicker Jay Feely handled the Jets' first punt Saturday, a low, wobbly kick that the Bengals returned to the New York 45 to start their second series. Weatherford's illness was a major setback to the Jets in a game that was expected to come down to field position.
Feely hasn't punted during his nine-year career. Weatherford punted 80 times this season for a 42-yard average.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Report: DEA looking into NFL painkiller use
- Browns' Haden: Cleveland title race is on
- Ravens CB Smith arrested after bar incident
- Crabtree responds to Sherman: Tired of talk
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's New York Jets Legend Wordmark White V-Neck T-Shirt