Edwards gets probation, $1,000 fine
Edwards was in court Tuesday after he initially pleaded not guilty in November to misdemeanor assault after he was accused of punching a man outside a downtown nightclub.
Judge Michelle Earley gave Edwards a suspended 180-day jail sentence and fined him $1,000. His probation will be inactive, which means he will not have to report to a probation officer.
The former Browns receiver was traded to the Jets two days after he was accused of punching a friend of NBA star LeBron James on Oct. 5.
Edwards was expected to return to the Jets facility later Tuesday. The Jets play at the San Diego Chargers in a playoff game on Sunday.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Steve Smith reaches 3-year deal with Ravens
- Colts strike deal with former Giants WR Nicks
- Pats reach deal with suspended CB Browner
- Spikes agrees to contract terms with Buffalo
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2009 NFL PLAYOFFS: ROAD TO MIAMI
Colts 30, Jets 17
Saints 31, Vikings 28 (OT)
Vikings 34, Cowboys 3
Jets 17, Chargers 14
Saints 45, Cardinals 14
Colts 20, Ravens 3
Jets 24, Bengals 14
Cowboys 34, Eagles 14
Ravens 33, Patriots 14
Cardinals 51, Packers 45 OT
- New Era Men's New York Jets Sideline Authentic 59Fifty Black Fitted Hat