Dolphins' decision reverberates
Tomlin's in Pittsburgh, not Miami, and Steelers are in the playoffs
2. Savings plans: In light of the financial uncertainty that's ahead, NFL owners are doing whatever they can to save money and drive down coaching salaries. Look no further than this year's coaching searches to see it. The 49ers gave former Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, this year's hottest coaching candidate, a five-year, $25 million contract -- but the deal still averaged $1.5 million per year less than Seattle gave another former Pac 10 coach, Pete Carroll, last year. The Panthers handed Ron Rivera a four-year, $11.2 million deal that places him among the 10 lowest-paid head coaches in the league. And there is talk that Denver and Oakland also will aim to keep their head coach's salary down. Unless it is someone such as Bill Belichick, the days of the $6 million-to-$7 million-plus coaching salaries are gone for the foreseeable future. When Gruden and Bill Cowher jump back into the NFL coaching ranks, which is expected to happen before the 2012 season, they will be paid well, but not what head coaches were paid the past few years.
POINTS ALLOWED BY REMAINING TEAMS
|Overall NFL rank||Team||Points|
|6||New York Jets||304|
The Schef's specialties
• Game of the week: Ravens-Steelers: Five of the past six regular-season games between these teams have been decided by three points.
• Player of the week: Patriots quarterback Tom Brady: The Patriots have lost their past two postseason games, and it's hard to imagine Brady allowing that streak to grow to three.
• Upset of the week: Packers over Falcons: Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan sports a 20-2 home record, so he's ultra-tough to beat in Atlanta, but Green Bay is capable.
Adam Schefter is an ESPN NFL Insider.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Crabtree has surgery for torn Achillies
- Urlacher retiring from NFL after 13 seasons
- Jets' Smith picks Jay-Z's agency to rep him
- Giants open OTAs minus WRs Cruz, Nicks
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
SUPER BOWL XLV
Super Bowl Central | Super Bowl blog