6:30 PM ET, January 18, 2009
Heinz Field, Pittsburgh, PA
PITTSBURGH -- Tough and mean, like the original Steel Curtain.
• The Steelers advanced to their second Super Bowl in the last four seasons and the seventh in team history (only the Cowboys have been to more with eight), holding Baltimore to just 198 yards of total offense.
• Including the playoffs, the Steelers have won eight of their last nine home games against the Ravens.
• Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco finished with 141 passing yards, three interceptions and an 18.2 passer rating, the lowest in a title game since Daunte Culpepper's 13.7 passer rating in the 2000 NFC Championship Game against the Giants.
• Ben Roethlisberger finished with 255 passing yards and touchdown toss as he improved to 7-2 in the postseason. His seventh win passed Troy Aikman for the second-most playoff wins by a quarterback in his first five NFL seasons.
• Both of the Ravens' road postseason losses in their history have come in Pittsburgh (2001 and Sunday).
-- ESPN research
Simply The Best
The Pittsburgh Steelers are headed to their seventh Super Bowl, the second most appearances by a franchise behind the Cowboys (8). An XLIII victory over the Cardinals in Tampa Bay would give them six titles, breaking a tie with the Cowboys and 49ers (5) for the most in league history.
Ravens RB Willis McGahee takes a scary hit from Ryan Clark in the AFC Championship Game.
The Steelers defense has been a nightmare for Joe Flacco and the Ravens offense all season. In three contests between the AFC North foes this season, Flacco has seen his passer rating nosedive, ending with an 18.2 performance in Sunday's AFC Championship Game. Here's the look:
|Week 4||Week 15||Sunday|
Team Stat Comparison
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||3.4||4.2|
Yards per pass
Yards per rush
|FG||11:22||Jeff Reed 34 Yd||0||3|
|FG||06:11||Jeff Reed 42 Yd||0||6|
|TD||13:58||Santonio Holmes 65 Yd Pass From Ben Roethlisberger (Jeff Reed Kick)||0||13|
|TD||02:40||Willis McGahee 3 Yd Run (Matt Stover Kick)||7||13|
|FG||03:38||Jeff Reed 46 Yd||7||16|
|TD||09:29||Willis McGahee 1 Yd Run (Matt Stover Kick)||14||16|
|TD||04:24||Troy Polamalu 40 Yd Interception Return (Jeff Reed Kick)||14||23|