8:30 PM ET, September 10, 2009
Heinz Field, Pittsburgh, PA
• Jeff Reed's 32-yard field goal with less than three minutes to play tied the game, and his 33-yarder in overtime gave the Steelers their seventh straight season-opening victory -- the longest active Week 1 win streak in the NFL.
• The last time the Steelers scored fewer than 20 points in a season-opening win was in 1979 when they won at New England 16-13 in overtime.
• Hines Ward fumbled late in the fourth quarter, costing the Steelers a chance to win the game in regulation after the Titans recovered. The last time Ward lost a fumble in his career was in Week 9 of the 2006 season in a 30-21 loss to the Broncos.
• Santonio Holmes set a career high with nine receptions. His 131 yards marked the second-highest total of his regular-season career.
• The Steelers are now 6-0 at Heinz Field in Week 1 openers, making them the 10th straight Super Bowl champion to win their opener the following season.
-- ESPN stats & information
Walker: No Huddle, No Problem
After stalling most of the night, the Steelers flipped the switch, ditched the huddle and went Tom Brady on the Titans to the tune of 363 passing yards, James Walker writes. Blog
The Titans' standard four-man rush seemed to miss Albert Haynesworth's presence. Although Tennessee forced two picks with standard pressure, Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers shredded it for 320 yards through the air.
The Steelers have won their last seven openers, the longest ongoing streak ... The returning Super Bowl champion has won its opener for 10 consecutive seasons. ... Roethlisberger is 4-0 with nine TD passes and two interceptions in openers. ... Tennessee started 10-0 last season.
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||5.2||5.1|
Yards per pass
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||1-3||0-2|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||0||0|
|TD||1:29||Santonio Holmes 34 Yard Pass From Ben Roethlisberger (Jeff Reed Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 5 plays, 79 yds, 0:52
|TD||0:53||Justin Gage 14 Yard Pass From Kerry Collins (Rob Bironas Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 3 plays, 71 yds, 0:34
|FG||11:08||Rob Bironas 45 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 7 plays, 36 yds, 3:43
|FG||3:00||Jeff Reed 32 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 12 plays, 56 yds, 8:06
|FG||10:34||Jeff Reed 33 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 10 plays, 63 yds, 4:32