1:00 PM ET, September 13, 2009
FirstEnergy Stadium, Cleveland, OH
Favre throws 6-yard TD pass, Peterson rushes for 3 TDs in Vikings win
CLEVELAND -- After rolling into the end zone with his first NFL touchdown, Vikings rookie wide receiver Percy Harvin had to absorb an unexpected hit.Brett Favre flattened him.
More From ESPN.com
Brett Favre did what all Vikings QBs must do: hand the ball to Adrian Peterson early and often, writes Gene Wojciechowski. Story
Favre's downfield weakness
QB Brett Favre didn't have a spectacular performance in his first victory with the Vikings, as he threw only four passes of six yards or more. Favre's weakness last season was throwing downfield, and he did little Sunday to show he's capable of success.
|Dist. thrown||5 or less||6 or more|
• Adrian Peterson rushed for 180 yards and three touchdowns, the third straight season he's surpassed the century mark in Week 1. The 180 yards are a Week 1 franchise record.
• Peterson's three touchdowns matched his single-game high and was his 17th career 100-yard rushing game.
• Brett Favre finished his 270th consecutive start by completing 14-of-21 passes for 110 yards and one touchdown pass. The 110 yards are the fewest Favre has thrown for in Week 1 in his career.
• The Browns are 1-10 in Week 1 openers since returning to the NFL in 1999.
• In his fourth start, Brady Quinn completed 21-of-35 passes for 205 yards with a touchdown, an interception and was sacked five times.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Cribbs' seventh career TD punt return tied Eric Metcalf for the most in club history. ... Minnesota improved to 10-3 against Cleveland. ... The Browns have opened every season since '99 at home. Their only win came in 2004 against Baltimore. ... The Vikings tried an onside kick to start the game that was recovered by the Browns. ... Cleveland rookie running back James Davis, who was slightly injured in a one-car accident on Saturday, sustained a shoulder injury in the second half.
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||4.9||4.5|
Yards per pass
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||3-5||1-2|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||0||1|
|FG||11:33||Phil Dawson 37 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 8 plays, 31 yds, 3:32
|FG||0:06||Ryan Longwell 21 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 12 plays, 46 yds, 6:52
|TD||11:17||Adrian Peterson 1 Yard Run (Ryan Longwell Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 4 plays, 23 yds, 1:47
|FG||6:00||Phil Dawson 20 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 9 plays, 73 yds, 5:12
|TD||1:46||Joshua Cribbs 67 Yard Punt Return (Phil Dawson Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 1 plays, 67 yds, 0:00
|TD||10:10||Adrian Peterson 1 Yard Run (Ryan Longwell Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 9 plays, 55 yds, 4:53
|TD||1:12||Percy Harvin 6 Yard Pass From Brett Favre (Ryan Longwell Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 13 plays, 82 yds, 7:32
|FG||6:59||Ryan Longwell 37 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 6 plays, 14 yds, 3:06
|TD||6:11||Adrian Peterson 64 Yard Run (Ryan Longwell Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 1 plays, 64 yds, 0:00
|TD||0:35||Robert Royal 26 Yard Pass From Brady Quinn (Phil Dawson Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 9 plays, 80 yds, 2:35