7:00 PM ET, September 14, 2009
Gillette Stadium, Foxboro, MA
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Tom Brady doesn't do mediocre.That's not what all those long rehab sessions and months of preparing for his return to the NFL were about. So while Brady's performance was pedestrian for much of Monday night's season opener, when the spotlight was at its most intense, he lived up to the advance billing.It seemed to take forever, though.A year after being sidelined with torn knee ligaments, Brady resembled a rusty game manager more than the invincible record-setting quarterback who guided the Patriots to a perfect 2007 regular season. Yet, he threw two touchdown passes in the final 2:06 as New England beat the Buffalo Bills 25-24.
• In his first regular-season game since Week 1 of the 2008 season, Tom Brady threw two touchdown passes to Ben Watson in a span of 1:16 late in the fourth quarter to give the Pats their 12th straight win over the Bills. That's tied with the Chargers-Raiders for the longest active streak by one team over another in the NFL.
• Brady finished with a career-high-tying 39 completions in 53 attempts for 378 yards with two scores and an INT. His interception was returned 26 yards for a touchdown by Aaron Schobel, the first time he had a pick returned for a TD since Dec. 26, 2005.
• Randy Moss led all receivers with 141 receiving yards, his 60th career game topping the 100-yard mark. That broke a tie with Marvin Harrison for the second most in NFL history.
• In his Bills debut, Terrell Owens caught two passes, matching his single-game low from 2008, for 46 yards.
• The Bills have now lost their last three MNF games by a combined four points.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Brady bunches up TDs late
Tom Brady returned for the Patriots and was most impressive on the final two drives.
|1st 8 Drives||Last 2 Drives|
Buffalo's other touchdown was an 11-yard reception by Shawn Nelson. Rian Lindell added a 40-yard field goal. ... Gostkowski had field goals of 20 and 28 yards, but only one extra point because the Patriots failed on two 2-point tries after their late touchdowns. ... Fred Jackson, filling in for suspended starting RB Marshawn Lynch, had 57 yards rushing and 83 receiving for Buffalo. ... Bills LB Paul Posluszny broke his arm and DE Chris Kelsay hurt his knee. ... Patriots LB Jerod Mayo, the 2008 Defensive Rookie of the year, injured his right knee.
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||5.8||5.7|
Yards per pass
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||2-2||3-5|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||1||0|
|TD||3:03||Shawn Nelson 11 Yard Pass From Trent Edwards (Rian Lindell Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 6 plays, 68 yds, 3:17
|TD||6:25||Fred Taylor 1 Yard Run (Stephen Gostkowski Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 14 plays, 72 yds, 7:12
|TD||3:38||Aaron Schobel 26 Yard Interception Return (Rian Lindell Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 1 plays, 36 yds, 0:00
|FG||0:05||Stephen Gostkowski 20 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 9 plays, 68 yds, 3:29
|FG||2:37||Rian Lindell 40 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 7 plays, 42 yds, 3:25
|FG||11:47||Stephen Gostkowski 28 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 11 plays, 66 yds, 5:49
|TD||5:38||Fred Jackson 10 Yard Pass From Trent Edwards (Rian Lindell Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 14 plays, 62 yds, 6:11
|TD||2:10||Benjamin Watson 18 Yard Pass From Tom Brady (Tom Brady Pass to Benjamin Watson For Two-Point Conversion is No Good)|
Drive info: 11 plays, 81 yds, 3:26
|TD||0:55||Benjamin Watson 16 Yard Pass From Tom Brady (Tom Brady Pass to Randy Moss For Two-Point Conversion is No Good)|
Drive info: 3 plays, 31 yds, 1:06