8:20 PM ET, October 18, 2009
Georgia Dome, Atlanta, GA
ATLANTA -- The Chicago Bears could've won in Atlanta last year. They could've won Sunday night.Instead, they went 0-for-2.Chicago made three huge mistakes in the red zone, and the Falcons held on for a 21-14 victory that will be remembered for one gritty defensive stand after another and all the chances the Bears let slip away.
Pasquarelli: No Stars
Thomas DeCoud and Eric Weems stole the spotlight for the Falcons in a win over the Bears, writes Len Pasquarelli. Story
Facing The Heat
The different in the game came down to which team excelled in the red zone. Atlanta's Matt Ryan drove his team to victory while Chicago's Jay Cutler fell short.
• The Falcons improved to 4-1 for their best start since 2004.
• Matt Ryan is now 10-1 at home in his NFL career and has thrown multiple touchdowns in three straight home games.
• Michael Turner scored the go-ahead touchdown, reaching the end zone for the fourth straight game. He has scored six touchdowns in his last four games.
• Tony Gonzalez has a touchdown reception in all three of the Falcons' home games this season.
• The Bears snapped their three-game win streak.
• Jay Cutler notched his 11th career 300-yard passing game, but his teams are 5-6 in those games.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Both teams were hurt by injuries. The Falcons lost RB Jerious Norwood (hip flexor) and CB Brian Williams (right knee), while LB Pisa Tinoisamoa (knee) went down for Chicago. ... Weems had a big night on special teams, averaging 39 yards on three kickoff returns and bringing back one punt for 20 yards. ... DeCoud, a second-year player, had only one interception in 45 college games at Cal. He's now surpassed that total in the NFL.
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||5.5||4.5|
Yards per pass
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||1-4||2-2|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||0||0|
|TD||15:00||Johnny Knox 23 Yard Pass From Jay Cutler (Robbie Gould Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 2 plays, 44 yds, 0:40
|TD||9:10||Roddy White 40 Yard Pass From Matt Ryan (Jason Elam Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 3 plays, 55 yds, 1:14
|TD||0:09||Tony Gonzalez 10 Yard Pass From Matt Ryan (Jason Elam Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 12 plays, 64 yds, 5:02
|TD||6:18||Greg Olsen 2 Yard Pass From Jay Cutler (Robbie Gould Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 8 plays, 92 yds, 3:34
|TD||3:10||Michael Turner 5 Yard Run (Jason Elam Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 7 plays, 41 yds, 3:08