8:30 PM ET, November 2, 2009
Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, LA
Ryan's third INT the costliest as Saints fend off furious rally to go to 7-0
NEW ORLEANS -- Drew Brees and the Saints are so good right now they can't even beat themselves.New Orleans overcame four turnovers for a second straight week to stay perfect with a 35-27 victory over the Atlanta Falcons on Monday night, matching the best start in franchise history.
• The Saints improved to 7-0, matching their best start in franchise history, as Drew Brees recorded his 34th career 300-yard passing game (fourth most among active players).
• Pierre Thomas scored both receiving and rushing for the third time in the last two seasons. Only Brian Westbrook (4) has more games with TDs on the ground and in the air.
• The Saints have scored 273 points this season, fourth most through seven games in NFL history and second most in a 7-0 start ('07 Patriots had 279).
• Jabari Greer's 48-yard interception return TD is the Saints' NFL-best sixth defensive score this season. For comparison's sake, the Browns have an NFL-worst five offensive touchdowns.
• Michael Turner rushed for 151 yards and a TD, the first time the Falcons have lost a game when Turner tops 100 yards rushing (now 9-1).
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Brees-ing by Falcons
Drew Brees was stellar throwing the ball downfield. He threw better on longer passes against the Falcons than on short passes.
|Under 15 yds||15 yds or more|
-- ESPN Stats and Information
Saints center Jonathan Goodwin left late in the fourth quarter with a right knee injury and was replaced by Jamar Nesbit. ... Payton said WR Lance Moore had a shin injury. ... Brees has turned the ball over six times (four interceptions, two fumbles) in the past two games. ... Ryan has seven interceptions in his last three games.
NEW ORLEANS - NOVEMBER 2: An exterior view of the Louisiana Superdome is seen before the start of the game...(Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from Penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||6.4||6.2|
Comp - Att
Yards per pass
Sacks - Yards Lost
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||1-4||3-4|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||1||1|
|TD||11:03||Michael Turner 13 Yd Run (Jason Elam Kick)||7||0|
|TD||05:26||Pierre Thomas 22 Yd Run (John Carney Kick)||7||7|
|TD||02:14||Kroy Biermann 4 Yd Fumble Return (Jason Elam Kick)||14||7|
|TD||10:38||Marques Colston 18 Yd Pass From Drew Brees (John Carney Kick)||14||14|
|TD||01:05||Reggie Bush 1 Yd Run (John Carney Kick)||14||21|
|TD||00:42||Jabari Greer 48 Yd Interception Return (John Carney Kick)||14||28|
|TD||12:25||Roddy White 68 Yd Pass From Matt Ryan (Jason Elam Kick)||21||28|
|FG||11:33||Jason Elam 25 Yd||24||28|
|TD||03:03||Pierre Thomas 1 Yd Pass From Drew Brees (John Carney Kick)||24||35|
|FG||00:28||Jason Elam 40 Yd||27||35|
- NFL Home
- AFC East
- Buffalo Bills
- Miami Dolphins
- NE Patriots
- New York Jets
- AFC West
- Denver Broncos
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Oakland Raiders
- San Diego Chargers
- AFC North
- Baltimore Ravens
- Cincinnati Bengals
- Cleveland Browns
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- AFC South
- Houston Texans
- Indianapolis Colts
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- Tennessee Titans
- NFL Nation
- Free-Agent Tracker