8:30 PM ET, December 14, 2009
Candlestick Park, San Francisco, CA
SAN FRANCISCO -- The Arizona Cardinals lost their discipline and a chance to clinch a second straight NFC West crown. They threw the ball away, and they fumbled it even more.Alex Smith threw touchdown passes after two of Arizona's seven turnovers, Frank Gore ran for 167 yards and another score and the San Francisco 49ers kept their slim playoff hopes alive with a dominanting 24-9 victory Monday night.
Sando: Sinking Feeling
The Cardinals' loss to the 49ers probably hurt San Francisco worse than Arizona, as the 49ers are left to think about what could have been, Mike Sando writes. Blog
• The 49ers forced seven turnovers, including five in the first half. This was the first time San Francisco caused seven-plus turnovers in a game since forcing eight against the Saints on Sept. 14, 1997.
• This was the most turnovers by the Cardinals since they turned the ball over seven times last season vs. the Jets. They also tied the Panthers in Week 1 for the most turnovers by a team in 2009.
• The 49ers swept the Cardinals for the second time in the last three seasons.
• San Francisco has now won three of its last five games following a four-game losing streak while Arizona has now dropped two of three following a three-game win streak.
• Kurt Warner, who entered Monday with 12 TDs and zero interceptions in his previous four games, had 0 TDs and two picks.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Fitzgerald will be re-evaluated Tuesday. ... San Francisco opponents have 11 turnovers in the Niners' two primetime games. ... The 49ers swept the season series after Arizona did so in 2008.
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||4.8||4.5|
Yards per pass
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||1-2||2-3|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||0||0|
|TD||3:58||Vernon Davis 5 Yard Pass From Alex Smith (Joe Nedney Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 2 plays, 8 yds, 0:15
|FG||0:50||Joe Nedney 37 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 4 plays, 8 yds, 2:13
|TD||0:55||Michael Crabtree 35 Yard Pass From Alex Smith (Joe Nedney Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 7 plays, 68 yds, 1:53
|FG||5:52||Neil Rackers 48 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 8 plays, 25 yds, 2:08
|TD||14:11||Beanie Wells 1 Yard Run (Neil Rackers Kick is No Good)|
Drive info: 7 plays, 43 yds, 4:20
|TD||9:27||Frank Gore 2 Yard Run (Joe Nedney Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 4 plays, 16 yds, 2:13