8:20 PM ET, December 19, 2009
Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, LA
Ware strips Brees on final drive to end Saints' shot at perfect season
NEW ORLEANS -- A perfect record would have been lagniappe, as they say in Louisiana -- a little something extra.The history-making achievement the Saints and their fans really covet is a first Super Bowl appearance, which is all that's left to accomplish now that Tony Romo and Dallas ended their December doldrums at New Orleans' expense.
• The Cowboys got their second win over a team with a 10-0 record or better; they beat the 11-0 Redskins in Nov. 1991.
• Tony Romo is 6-10 as a starter in December. He was 22 for 34 for 312 yards and a TD. He has six scoring passes and no interceptions in three games this December, with a passer rating of 109.7.
• Miles Austin had 139 yards receiving, his fifth 100-yard game of the season. He has a TD reception in four straight games, something he also did from Week 5-9.
• Marion Barber scored two TDs, his 13th career multi-TD game but first of this season.
• The Saints are the third 13-0 team to lose, joining the 1998 Broncos and 2005 Colts. Each of those teams also lost their next game.
• New Orleans scored fewer than 20 points for the first time in their last 23 games.
• The loss snapped the Saints' five-game win streak vs. the Cowboys.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
The vertical passing game was not there for Drew Brees. New Orleans needed to move the ball downfield quickly late to tie, but the Saints quarterback failed to connect on a big play. His counterpart Tony Romo, on the other hand? He did a good job throwing the ball deep.
|Passer rtg||141.4||0.0*||*NFL-best 124.1 rating in 1st 13 games|
The Cowboys outgained the Saints, 439 yards to 336, holding the Saints 90 yards and nearly 19 points below their averages in those categories. The Saints, who came in converting nearly 48 percent of third downs this season, converted only one of seven. ... Miles caught seven passes for 139 yards, going over 1,000 yards for the first time in his four-year career. ... Reggie Bush pulled up lame in the second quarter, favoring his right leg, and did not return. The Saints did not provide an update on his condition.
NEW ORLEANS - DECEMBER 19: Fan Albert Sharp of Folsom, Louisana, poses in front of the of the Louisiana Superdome...(Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from Penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||6.0||5.4|
Comp - Att
Yards per pass
Sacks - Yards Lost
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||2-4||2-3|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||0||0|
|TD||11:24||Miles Austin 49 Yd Pass From Tony Romo (Nick Folk Kick)||7||0|
|TD||05:15||Marion Barber 3 Yd Run (Nick Folk Kick)||14||0|
|FG||07:23||Garrett Hartley 34 Yd||14||3|
|FG||00:04||Nick Folk 44 Yd||17||3|
|TD||08:00||Marion Barber 2 Yd Run (Nick Folk Kick)||24||3|
|TD||12:35||Mike Bell 1 Yd Run (Garrett Hartley Kick)||24||10|
|TD||08:00||Lance Moore 7 Yd Pass From Drew Brees (Garrett Hartley Kick)||24||17|
- NFL Home
- AFC East
- Buffalo Bills
- Miami Dolphins
- NE Patriots
- New York Jets
- AFC West
- Denver Broncos
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Oakland Raiders
- San Diego Chargers
- AFC North
- Baltimore Ravens
- Cincinnati Bengals
- Cleveland Browns
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- AFC South
- Houston Texans
- Indianapolis Colts
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- Tennessee Titans
- NFL Nation