8:20 PM ET, January 3, 2010
Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ
Rookie Sanchez efficiently leads Jets to first playoff berth in three seasons
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Rex and The Sanchise are headed to the playoffs, lucky breaks and all.Same Old J-E-T-S? Nope, not this time.
Graham: Lucky and Good
Things fell the Jets' way to get them in the playoffs, but they deserve it based on how they played, writes Tim Graham. Blog
• The Jets clinched the final playoff spot in the AFC by throttling the Bengals for their second shutout of the season.
• After losing six of seven games, the Jets finished the season by winning five of their last six to reach the postseason for the first time since 2006.
• The Jets will be the No. 5 seed in the AFC, traveling to Cincinnati to play the Bengals on Saturday.
• The Bengals, who had five first downs in the game, head into the postseason having lost three of their last four games and are shut out for the first time since 2001.
• The Jets rushed for 258 yards and had three different players with at least 60 rushing yards, led by Brad Smith's career-high 92 yards and his first rushing TD of the season.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
The Jets finished No. 1 in the NFL in total defense, passing defense, points allowed and rushing offense. ... New York finished with 257 yards rushing on 57 carries. ... Cincinnati was 1 for 11 on third down, and finished with just 72 net yards on offense. ... The last time Cincinnati was shut out was in 2001 against Baltimore -- when Lewis was the Ravens' defensive coordinator and Ryan was part of his staff.
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||1.8||4.4|
Yards per pass
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||0-2||3-5|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||0||0|
|TD||10:47||Thomas Jones 1 Yard Run (Jay Feely Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 7 plays, 72 yds, 4:14
|FG||13:33||Jay Feely 20 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 21 plays, 74 yds, 11:11
|TD||6:47||Brad Smith 32 Yard Run (Jay Feely Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 4 plays, 47 yds, 2:08
|TD||0:44||Jerricho Cotchery 6 Yard Run (Jay Feely Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 10 plays, 59 yds, 5:01
|FG||0:02||Jay Feely 39 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 3 plays, -6 yds, 0:20
|FG||9:51||Jay Feely 40 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 7 plays, 18 yds, 2:55
|TD||10:01||Thomas Jones 2 Yard Run (Jay Feely Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 9 plays, 26 yds, 4:52