Porter hopes to be ready for Dolphins season opener
DAVIE, Fla. -- Miami Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter returned to practice Monday, less than three weeks after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery, and he was optimistic he'll play in the season opener Sept. 9 at Washington.
"I didn't do too much. I just ran around a little bit and tested it out," said Porter, who was limited in drills. "I'm ahead of schedule. I've set myself up to be in a good situation come the season opener."
Porter ran last week and said he has had little swelling in his right knee. Coach Cam Cameron described Porter's status as day to day.
"You've got to see how the guy feels tomorrow," Cameron said. "But I would think we can all figure out it's pretty encouraging that he was out there practicing."
Porter's knee began bothering him during the offseason. When training camp started, he practiced less than two weeks before undergoing surgery Aug. 7.
He has missed all three exhibition games and is unlikely to play Thursday in the preseason finale at New Orleans.
Porter received a guaranteed $20 million in March to sign with Miami after spending his first eight NFL seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
NFL TRAINING CAMPS
The countdown is on toward the start of the 2007 season; rosters were trimmed to 75 by Tuesday and reached 53 by Saturday. The regular season starts Sept. 6 when the Saints visit Indianapolis to face the Super Bowl champion Colts. Camp index
Analysis• Clayton: Waiver claims interesting
• Clayton: Big cutdown day on Saturday
• Redskins re-sign Cooley
• Priest Holmes comeback on hold
• Bengals acquire QB Fitzpatrick from Rams
• Seahawks lose DT Tubbs for season
• DT Simon agrees to deal with Titans
• Pats' Samuel signs one-year franchise tender
• Giants, Strahan have constructive talks
• Ogden passes physical, returns to Ravens roster
• Browns place center Bentley on PUP list
• Roundup: Two-time Olympic skier Bloom cut by Eagles
• Roundup: Steelers' Ward has nose surgery
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Nike Youth Home Game Jersey Miami Dolphins Brian Hartline #82