Owens returns to field for Cowboys' practice
Owens got a break the previous two sessions, when he was on the field but didn't actively participate Monday morning or in the only workout Sunday.
"He's a little, not sore, just precautionary," coach Wade Phillips said Monday in his daily briefing between practices.
T.O. came out from the morning practice in white shorts and a long-sleeve shirt, as he had Sunday. Owens stood behind the offense during some drills after going to the edge of the huddle to listen to the plays being called by Romo.
During that workout, which Phillips described as "teaching session," the team wasn't in pads and Romo made only light throws.
"We're trying to rest his arm a little bit," Phillips said.
Phillips is starting to give some veterans a break from practice. The Cowboys have been on the field 11 straight days since opening camp and don't have a day off scheduled until Sunday, the day after their preseason opener.
"It wasn't like I was looking for a day off. ... I'm just doing what the coaches are telling me to do," Owens said after the morning session. "If I was hurt, I'd be in the training room somewhere, or be out working with the trainers. But I feel fine, I feel good."
Flozell Adams, the four-time Pro Bowl left tackle going into his 11th season, also didn't participate in team and position drills Monday morning, but like Owens was back in the afternoon. Adams also got a break from the first of two practices Saturday.
The plan for T.O. had initially been to let him take off one of the practices Saturday, but he had already warmed up and was ready to go on the field before coaches told him. He got Sunday off instead.
"I could have gone these days had they not given me a day off. I would have been out there like everybody else," Owens said. "Wade has done this over the years. ... I think it really has shown, not just on the practice field, but even on game day, that everybody's a little bit livelier."
The 34-year-old Owens is going into his 13th NFL season.
When the Cowboys were last in California for camp two years ago under Bill Parcells, Owens was nursing a sore hamstring and spent most of his time on the sideline pedaling a stationary bicycle.
Phillips gave Owens a few days off last year in training camp to rest sore legs. T.O. then had one of the best seasons in his career, with 81 catches for 1,355 yards and a team-record 15 touchdowns.
"It's just like racing horses, you can't run them every day and expect them go out there on race day and perform at their best," Owens said. "The same with cars, you run them to a certain point, then you put them in the shop and go through the diagnostics. That's what I'm going through right now."
NotesAfter 11 straight days hitting each other, the tempers are starting to flare a bit. TE Jason Witten was irate after he felt he had been held multiple times by LB Bobby Carpenter. At the end of one play, Witten shouted at defensive coordinator Brian Stewart about Carpenter. ... RT Marc Colombo and LB Tearrius George got in a scuffle during another drill. ... For the third consecutive, the afternoon practice went at least 15 minutes longer than scheduled. And two of those were second practices in a day.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Dolphins trade Martin to 49ers for draft pick
- Jags send former 1st-rounder Gabbert to SF
- Cowboys cut Pro-Bowler Ware; Broncos next?
- Sources: Talib gets $57M deal from Broncos
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
TRAINING CAMP 2008
Commentary/featuresWarner proves he has future
The Cardinals gave Kurt Warner the chance to compete with Matt Leinart for the starting spot, and the 37-year-old quarterback made the most of the opportunity. John Clayton
Pennington's learning curve
It seemed the Jets could not help Chad Pennington pack his bags fast enough. Now the most experienced QB on the Dolphins, he's relishing the chance to excel again.
• Kreidler: Future still promising for 49ers' Smith
• Clayton: Injuries impact preseason
• Seifert: A new approach in Detroit
• Smith: Favre drama a reality check for McNabb
• Kuharsky: Titans focused on defense
• Sando: Running key for Holmgren's swan song
• Mosley: Giants hope history teaches well
• Garber: Coughlin distances from SB win
• Williamson: Chiefs engergized by youth
• Chadiha: O-line might hold real keys for Jets
• Wickersham: Three tips for Favre
• Mosley: Giants done with celebrating
• Naylor: Canadian divide on NFL invasion
• Graham: Sleeper Bills | Blog: Yo, Canada
• Seifert: For a change, no distractions for Vikes
• Mosley: McNabb confident Eagles among elite
• Kuharsky: Garrard taking control
• Mosley: Eagles poised to return to prominence
• Clayton: Young on his way to elite status
• Kuharsky: Garrard ready to lead Jags
• Chadiha: Delhomme determined to seize moment
• Yasinskas: Smith's approach suits Falcons
• Mosley: Zorn's coaching desire finally fulfilled
• Williamson: Young Raiders share Kiffin's hunger
• Graham: Jets wiping slate clean
• Chadiha: Turner ready to lead Falcons
• Clayton: Vikings firmly in Jackson's corner
• Walker: Tough schedule awaits Steelers in 2008
• Mosley: Favre is QB turned ringmaster
• Clayton: 5 reasons Favre would start for Pack
• Graham: Patriots not dwelling on past
• Sando: Rams optimistic despite questions
• Williamson: Shanahan points to playoffs
• Walker: Bengals look to move past chaos
• Yasinskas: Delhomme, Peppers must step up
NFL blog network• NFL Nation blog
• AFC: North | South | East | West
• NFC: North | South | East | West
• Contact our bloggers
Camp Confidential training camp tourA breakdown of our annual camp tour:
• Wednesday, July 30: Chargers, Cowboys
• Thursday, July 31: Texans, 49ers
• Friday, Aug. 1: Patriots
• Saturday, Aug. 2: Bengals, Panthers
• Sunday, Aug. 3: Broncos
• Monday, Aug. 4: Rams
• Tuesday, Aug. 5: Steelers
• Wednesday, Aug. 6: Jets
• Thursday, Aug. 7: Raiders | Redskins
• Friday, Aug. 8: Falcons
• Saturday, Aug. 9: Jaguars
• Tuesday, Aug. 12: Eagles | Vikings
• Wednesday, Aug. 13: Bills
• Thursday, Aug. 14: Chiefs
• Friday, Aug. 15: Giants | Seahawks
• Saturday, Aug. 16: Bucs | Lions
• Sunday, Aug. 17: Browns
• Monday, Aug. 18: Titans
Video• NFL Insiders on Bills, Broncos, more
• Rachel Nichols on Favre, Jets
• NFL Live dissects ESPN.com power rankings
Audio• Podcast: Biggest questions
Scouts Inc.• Camp outlook: AFC Q&A on X's and O's
• Camp outlook: NFC Q&A on X's and O's
• Notable quarterback battles
- Nike Youth Dallas Cowboys Elite Font Grey T-Shirt