Lemieux tells Penguins not to have ceremony
We will see Steve Yzerman's jersey raised to the rafters in a special Red Wings ceremony in January. But what about the Penguins and Mario Lemieux?
Super Mario said no thanks.
According to local reports out of Pittsburgh, Lemieux requested that the Penguins not give him an elaborate ceremony for his second retirement from the NHL. Instead, the team will simply unveil a No. 66 banner hanging from the Mellon Arena roof on opening night.
"We're not going to do an official ...
Read full story
The 'Magnificent' Career
Mario Lemieux, 40, retired from the NHL for a second time, citing his health and not being able to play at the level he's accustomed to. Story
• Melrose: Sad to see another great go
• Mario says 'it hurts' to retire
• Career stats | Lemieux Bio | Timeline
• Your take? | Where does Mario rank?
• Photos: First stint | Second coming | Finale
• Rovell: Don't blame Mario if Pens leave
• Lemieux out as CEO