Starting in NHL as a teenager doesn't mean instant success
It's a classic example of how enamored NHL clubs can be of teenage players one moment, and how anxious they can be to dump the same players soon after.
And how there's absolutely no guarantee that young players pressed into NHL service before their 20th birthdays are so talented that they'll turn into stars like Sidney Crosby, or so hastily promoted that they'll end up enormous busts like Alexandre Daigle.
The truth is, it usually takes years for either scenario to play out.
Read full story
Rookies Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews are the centerpieces of a rebuilding plan in Chicago. ESPN.com is following their progress throughout the 2007-08 season in a series called "Beginner's Puck."
PART IIIPosted: March 11; Team record: 33-29-7
• Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews are giving Chicago fans something they haven't had in a decade -- meaningful games in March. Story
PART IIPosted: Dec. 14, 2007; Team record: 15-13-2
• Teens in the NHL? That's nothing new. But teens bringing a team back to life? Chicago's falling in love with the Kane and Toews show. Story
PART IPosted: Sept. 27, 2007; Team record: N/A
• Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews and Jack Skille are just a few of the new crop of rookies coming into the NHL, and they're giving Chicago hope. Story
MORE ANALYSIS• Cox: Teens in NHL a crapshoot
• Hradek: Where will they be in 2017-18?
• Melrose: Toews, Kane can handle it