A look at the top free-agent defensemen
This summer represents a conundrum for NHL GMs as the free-agent talent pool is especially thin compared with the past two summers. But with the salary cap rising to as much as $56.7 million, up from last season's $50 million, it's entirely likely that GMs will be forced to overpay for those free agents.
Here's a look at the top defensemen who could be available July 1:
All indications were that the smooth-skating defenseman acquired by the Sharks ...
Read full story
2008 FREE AGENCY
The free-agent period opens on July 1. Here is Scott Burnside's preview of the top players on the market:
WHO TO WATCH• The forwards: This isn't the most star-studded free-agent pool in recent years, but there are still veterans to be had, starting with Mats Sundin. Story
• The defensemen: The New York Rangers are one of a few teams looking for help along the blue line. Here's the group they'll be picking from. Story
• The goalies: It's slim pickings when it comes to goalies on the market, which could mean big paydays for Cristobal Huet and Jose Theodore. Story
• The RFAs: Thanks to the Edmonton-Anaheim offseason feud that yielded the Dustin Penner offer sheet, the ante now is up for restricted free agents. Story
• The rumors: Get all the latest news and information on soon-to-be free agents and where they'll land come July 1. Rumor Central
MORE COVERAGE• Watch: E.J. Hradek's take
• Fantasy: Offseason Top 75 player rankings
• Fantasy: Free agency watch