Surprisingly, term is one of longest in NHL
The 23-year-old made the NHL All-Rookie team last season with a 7-14-2 record and 2.64 goals-against average in 24 appearances.
The deal, which goes through the 2006-2007 season, is surprising in that it is one of the longest-term contracts in the league, for a player who had no NHL experience before he was called up on an emergency basis from the minor leagues in January.
No other Penguin is signed beyond the next two seasons. Johan Hedberg, the team's primary starter in goal last year, is in the final year of his contract.
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Wings' Howard hurts knee; Zetterberg to IR
- Sens' Cowen docked 2 games for blow to head
- Lightning's Panik is suspended for 2 games
- Blackhawks chase Emery, rough up Flyers
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Old Time Hockey Men's Pittsburgh Penguins Black Verick Long Sleeve Shirt