Forward has herniated discs in back
Daze, who appeared in only three games before the back injury, underwent surgery twice to repair herniated discs during his career.
But Mike Gapski, the team's head trainer, said Tuesday the surgery is not related to previous problems.
"We are optimistic that he will have a full recovery because he's been working so hard and his back is extremely strong," Gapski said in a statement.
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Bruins add NHL vet Sacco to coaching staff
- Eller agrees to 4-year deal with Canadiens
- Avalanche announce 2-year deal for O'Reilly
- Islanders, Poulin agree to one-year contract
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Chicago Blackhawks Top Gun Red T-Shirt