Defenseman out up to eight weeks
CHICAGO -- Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Alexander Karpovtsev will have surgery to remove bone chips from his ankle and be sidelined for about eight weeks.
The surgery is scheduled for next week in New York, the Blackhawks said Friday.
It's the latest blow to a team that has dropped to last place in the Western Conference's Central Division as top players have sat out.
Team captain Alex Zhamnov has been out with a bad back, but is expected to return later this month.
Goaltender Jocelyn Thibault had hip surgery, and winger Eric Daze had back surgery. Both might be lost to the team at least until the All-Star break in February.
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Pens' Letang cleared to practice after stroke
- Stars-Jackets game rescheduled for April 9
- Flyers beat Penguins for second straight day
- Sharks shrug off Rangers to win 6th straight
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Women's Chicago Blackhawks Patrick Sharp #10 Home Red Premier Jersey