Goal ties Francis with Dionne
RALEIGH, N.C. -- Carolina captain Ron Francis tied Marcel Dionne for fourth place on the NHL career points list with a goal in the second period against Buffalo on Monday night.
Francis' sixth goal of the season gave him 1,771 points in his 23rd season. The center chipped in a loose puck in traffic after a shot from Jeff O'Neill bounced high in the air in front of the Sabres net.
The 'Canes went on to win 2-1.
Francis' 1,229 assists are second only to Wayne Gretzky's 1,963 and his 542nd career goal passed Stan Mikita for 21st place on the NHL list.
Francis, 40, has played 16 seasons with the Hurricanes organization and seven with Pittsburgh, winning two Stanley Cups with the Penguins in the early 1990s.
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Bruins add NHL vet Sacco to coaching staff
- Eller agrees to 4-year deal with Canadiens
- Avalanche announce 2-year deal for O'Reilly
- Islanders, Poulin agree to one-year contract
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Carolina Hurricanes Basic Logo Red Adjustable Hat