Assist lifts Francis past Dionne
RALEIGH, N.C. -- Carolina Hurricanes captain Ron Francis passed Marcel Dionne for fourth place on the NHL career points list with an assist in the second period against the New York Rangers on Thursday night.
Francis' eighth assist of the season gave him 1,772 points in his 23rd season.
The longtime center had the lone assist on Josef Vasicek's second goal of the period, 11:58 in.
The Canes went on to win 3-2.
Francis' 1,230 assists are second only to Wayne Gretzky's 1,963.
Francis, 40, has played 16 seasons with the Hurricanes organization and seven with Pittsburgh, winning two Stanley Cups with the Penguins in the early 1990s.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Blue Jackets give Dubinsky 6-year extension
- Coyotes ink forward Moss to one-year deal
- Twin $84M Blackhawks deals for Kane, Toews
- Schneider signs multiyear deal with Devils
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Party Animal Carolina Hurricanes Applique Banner Flag