Bouwmeester could miss up to six weeks
Bouwmeester, who has two goals and 14 assists this season, injured his foot last Sunday at Vancouver. He had X-rays the following day, but results were negative and he was cleared to play.
He continued to have discomfort in the next two games, and more tests after Saturday night's game against Tampa Bay revealed the fracture.
Bouwmeester's injury follows the loss of rookie center Nathan Horton, who will miss the rest of the season because of a torn rotator cuff in his left shoulder.
The Florida Panthers signed free agent forward Donald Audette on Friday to help replace Horton, whose 10 goals were third best on the team.
On Sunday, the Panthers recalled defenseman Lukas Krajicek from San Antonio of the American Hockey League to replace Bouwmeester.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Panthers jump Sabres to win NHL draft lottery
- Malkin aims to return for Game 1 of playoffs
- Predators coach Trotz out after 15 seasons
- Hartley's boss defends coach over Sedin hit
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Authentic Street Signs Florida Panthers Ave Sign