Hit from Isles' Kvasha sprains knee
Weiss was examined by team doctors in Florida after injuring his knee during a 4-2 loss to the New York Islanders on Saturday.
Weiss, injured during a collision with Islanders forward Oleg Kvasha, is fourth on the Panthers in scoring with 11 goals and 13 assists in 40 games. He had two goals and four assists in the previous six games.
The Panthers have no shortage of injuries. Their top picks in each of the last three drafts -- Weiss, Jay Bouwmeester (broken foot) and Nathan Horton (rotator cuff tear) -- are now sidelined, and the team has lost 269 man-games to injury this season.
Weiss tore ligaments in his left knee in the final game of the 2001-02 season.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Peverley gets standing ovation at Stars game
- Penguins' Neal diagnosed with concussion
- Backstrom to get silver medal despite drug test
- Lundqvist ties Richter for Rangers' win record
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Florida Panthers Classic Keychain