Lapointe treated for depression in past month
Lapointe will continue in the program and be monitored by doctors from the league and the players union, the NHL and the NHL Players Association said in a joint statement.
Lapointe said last month he was being treated for depression, not drug or alcohol abuse. The center played 19 games this season before spending 28 days at a center in Boca Raton, Fla.
Lapointe was sent to the Flyers from the New York Islanders before last season's trading deadline.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Bruins add NHL vet Sacco to coaching staff
- Eller agrees to 4-year deal with Canadiens
- Avalanche announce 2-year deal for O'Reilly
- Islanders, Poulin agree to one-year contract
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Soft-Touch Men's Philadelphia Flyers Brayden Schenn #10 Player Replica Orange T-Shirt