Doan gets three-year extension
Doan has 55 points this season for the Coyotes, who are in fourth place in the Pacific Division.
"I was drafted by this organization and am proud to have played for this team for nine seasons," Doan said. "It was something I wanted to do and get done. I wanted to have an opportunity to sign more than a one- or two-year deal."
Doan was appointed captain at the start of the season.
"With this new contract, we fully expect even greater things to be written and said about this young man," general manager Michael Barnett said. "His name was always the first that anyone would ever put forward, so we knew that 29 other teams were seeing what we were seeing.
"Now, no one bothers, because they know it would be a short conversation. He's the closest thing to an untouchable that this organization has."
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Pens' Neal banned five for intentional knee
- Malkin scores in return as Pens top Jackets
- Senators' Spezza scores SO winner vs. Flyers
- Penguins place Orpik on IR with concussion
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Phoenix Coyotes Team Slouch Red Adjustable Hat