Avs forward focused on rehab, not Bertuzzi

DENVER -- Wearing a brace from his chin to his chest, Steve Moore walked into a news conference Monday and said he doesn't remember the hit that knocked him out for the season -- and might have ended his NHL career.

The Colorado Avalanche forward still has a red welt under his right eye, but he wore a broad smile while speaking to the media for the first time since Vancouver's Todd Bertuzzi sucker-punched him during a game on March 8.

"I feel very fortunate to be able to be here today, to be able
to walk in here today," 25-year-old Moore said before Colorado's game against Los Angeles. "I don't know whether I'll be able to play again, but
I remain optimistic. I'm more fortunate just to be alive and to
take one day at a time."

Moore waved to the crowd from one of the luxury boxes in the
first period after he was welcomed back by the public-address
announcer. The fans gave him a standing ovation that lasted more
than a minute, and players from both teams tapped their sticks on
the ice.

Moore suffered two broken vertebrae, a concussion and facial lacerations when Bertuzzi punched him from behind and drove his head into the ice. The hit was believed to be retaliation for a check by Moore in February that knocked Canucks' star Markus Naslund out for three games.

Bertuzzi was suspended for the rest of the season and
the playoffs, and Vancouver police are looking into assault charges
against him. He also must apply to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman for
reinstatement before he can play again.

Moore said he has not spoken to Bertuzzi and hasn't heard his public apology, and he avoided questions about Bertuzzi's punishment but did say the hit was over the line.

"I think that type of stuff doesn't have any place in the
game," he said. "We have a tremendous game, this game of hockey,
and I think this incident has made the image of this game suffer.
That's unfortunate, and I sincerely hope nothing like this ever
happens again."

Canucks general manager Brian Burke was glad to see Moore up and
walking around.

"On behalf of the entire Canucks organization, I'd like to wish
Steve a quick and full recovery," Burke said in a statement. "I
was pleased to see him looking better today, and we hope to hear
good things about his status in the near future."

Burke said the organization wouldn't comment on the incident
again until after the season.

Moore doesn't recall being punched or remember the 20 minutes
before or after he was struck -- his first memory was lying in the
medical room in Vancouver's arena.

"I can't explain how scary it is to wake up to a nightmare,"
he said. "I'm playing a game, and the next thing I know I'm lying
in a room with medical personnel standing over me. I have a neck
brace on and having my equipment cut off of me, and I am strapped
down and really have no idea on what was going on. It was pretty

Moore is up and walking after leaving a Denver hospital last
week, but he still has limited mobility and has yet to start
rehabilitation. He hopes to join the Avalanche on the road during
the playoffs but doesn't want to push too hard.

"Since that game in Vancouver, my main concern has just been to
regain my full health and take one day at a time," Moore said. "I
am certainly anxious for my injuries to heal, and I'm anxious to get
going on the rehab and hopefully get back to playing."

Moore said that his apartment is filled with banners, cards and
pictures and that he has received good wishes from across North America
and places as far away as Germany and Australia.

"I've even received a bouquet of flowers from Kuwait," he
said. "So it's been pretty amazing and it's been very uplifting
for me. It's been pretty powerful to know that this many people