Atlanta sends Foster to Ducks for veteran
The Thrashers gave up defenseman Kurtis Foster for Havelid, who helped the Mighty Ducks reach the Stanley Cup finals in 2003 with career highs in goals (11) and assists (22).
Havelid, 31, has missed only three games in the past two seasons.
"Niclas is a well-rounded defenseman who brings a tremendous amount of skill to our hockey club," Atlanta general manager Don Waddell said while attending the NHL draft in Raleigh, N.C. "He is a veteran leader with excellent experience, and will complement and improve our existing core of defensemen."
Foster spent most of last season at Chicago of the AHL, where he had 30 points (11 goals, 19 assists). He had one assist in five career games with the Thrashers.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Blue Jackets give Dubinsky 6-year extension
- Coyotes ink forward Moss to one-year deal
- Twin $84M Blackhawks deals for Kane, Toews
- Schneider signs multiyear deal with Devils
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Anaheim Ducks Team Logo Black Practice Flexfit Hat