NHL labor talks to resume Wednesday
TORONTO -- Labor talks between the NHL and the players' union resume Wednesday, the first meeting between the sides since July 21.
The collective bargaining agreement, twice extended in the last 10 years, expires Sept. 15 -- the day after the World Cup championship game in Toronto.
The meeting is at the offices of the NHL Players Association in Toronto. Before the session two weeks ago in New York, the sides hadn't bargained since May 25.
In New York, the parties met for four hours and the league submitted outlines of six concepts concerning cost certainty. The union disapproved.
"Each one of them begins and ends with a salary cap, and that doesn't provide any basis for any progress," said Ted Saskin, the union's senior director.
Bill Daly, the league's chief legal counsel, said at the time it was a hopeful sign the union asked for more information on the concepts.
The league says 75 percent of total revenues in 2002-03 went to player costs, leaving only 25 percent to pay for coaches, travel, building costs, marketing and advertising.
The NHLPA proposed a system last Oct. 1 that included revenue sharing, a luxury tax, a one-time 5 percent rollback in salaries and some changes to the entry-level system.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Pens' Neal banned five for intentional knee
- Malkin scores in return as Pens top Jackets
- Senators' Spezza scores SO winner vs. Flyers
- Penguins place Orpik on IR with concussion
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Anaheim Ducks Center Ice Collection Grey/Orange Draft Flexfit Hat